Tuesday, March 07, 2006



R2C2H2 Blows His-Story

Q and A With R2C2H2 Tha Artivist

The 25-year-old Memphis native has loved art since he was 2 and studied it while at Washington University in St. Louis. He chose the artist name R2C2H2 because he wanted to “build a brand that will stand the test of time and is also catchy.”

He’s currently working on a comic strip dedicated to his grandfather and those who served in World War II.

1. Describe the kind of artwork you do.

I’m an “artivist,” an activist and an artist put together. ... (Some artists) actually try to do work for the greater good. I try to document things that are very close to me that I find inspirational, in particular black history and jazz and hip-hop.

I just recently did a book called “James Reese Europe Jazz Lieutenant.” I love to tell stories, and it’s a true story about a jazz musician and World War I hero who was actually stationed in Spartanburg for a short time. I guess I use my art as an appetizer for knowledge.

2. Is there another career you wanted (or your family wanted you) to pursue?

When I was a young kid, I used to be into the military and whatnot. I always found myself during the off hours (at college) with different professors talking about philosophy and history.

3. What will you be exhibiting at the library?

Different artwork of jazz musicians, like some pieces involving Bert Williams ... as well as things relating to jazz history.

— Williesha C. Lakin

IF YOU GO

‘R2C2H2: Evolution of a Movement’

WHEN: Through Nov. 20, 2005; hours are 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 2-6 p.m. Sunday. “Meet the artist” reception is at 3 p.m. Sunday.

WHERE: Main Richland County Public Library, 1431 Assembly St.

COST: Free

INFORMATION: (803) 929-3457

No comments: